Friday, September 30, 2011

the girlfriend+my grandmother

My grandpa says he only dated two women: an Army nurse and my grandmother. He actually met my grandmother while he was with the Army nurse and then the rest of that story is history.

...except that a few years after my grandmother died, my grandfather found the Army nurse (who was also recently widowed) and the two re-kindled a flame. I have wonderful memories of Christmas with my grandmother growing up but I have recent memories of Helen (the Army nurse) bringing bright, red santa hats from Columbus, Ohio for our annual family portrait at Christmastime. Each time she would fly out to visit my grandpa, she would bring Columbus' famous confection: Buckeyes. Helen has passed away and my family is no longer up to our necks in chocolate-coated peanut butter candies, but Helen and Buckeyes will always go together. She would have been proud of the Buckeyes we made in class today.

No comments:

Post a Comment