Friday, September 16, 2011

pumpkin, coconut, banana cream, chocolate custard, lemon meringue, Key Lime pie

Over the past 3 days we have been learning about pies and today we finished our pie studies with a tasting of the aforementioned pies. All I can say is that I didn't hate it one single bit. In fact, I don't think I could even register the emotion "hate" while those six slices of goodness were in front of me.

My chef also shared his grandmother's trick to use up leftover pie crust. Spread cinnamon sugar (sugar+cinnamon, to taste) on the counter and roll out the leftover pie crust until about 1/4 inch thickness. While rolling out the dough continue turning, rotating, and flipping dough as you would normally. Gently roll the dough into a log and wrap in foil. Bake in a 325°F until cooked through. While still warm, unwrap dough roll from foil and slice 1/2 inch thick spiral slices. Share them, or don't.

1 comment:

  1. Your chef's grandmother's use for leftover pie crust is similar to your grandmother's use of leftover pie crust - we just roll the dough first, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on the flattened crust and roll it. We slice first and bake so I am interested in how the finished product feels different (I would think ours would be crisper...). The name "whammer jammer" happened in your generation - your grandmother would have been confused by that name! Thanks for sharing the pie crust recipe - can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete