Tuesday, August 23, 2011

pastry

One of my most emotional experiences last year was watching the documentary Kings of Pastry. It is the story of pastry chefs competing in France under immense pressure, stress, and tension. The stakes are high. The competition is fierce. The talent will blow your mind. There were times during the film that I had to cover my ears and bury my face in my chest because the horror of failure was so humiliating, I couldn't bear to watch. No movie has ever made me so scared that my heart beat out of control, causing me to be concerned for my health, however there were moments in this movie that felt like the beginnings of a cardiac arrest. Its truly a beautiful, heart wrenching story that has contributed to my deep respect and appreciation for pastry chefs and pastry cooks.

We are privileged to have one of the most talented pastry chefs in America as a faculty member here. Today, I had the honor of sampling Chef Francisco Migoya's food at the Apple Pie Bakery (one of our four campus restaurants open to the public). He was named one of the Top 10 Pastry Chefs in America for 2011 by Dessert Professional, he has a stunning blog, and he was nominated for a James Beard award. It is because of faculty members like Chef Migoya that I came to CIA, so thank you Chef for reminding me.



No comments:

Post a Comment