Tuesday, September 21, 2010

French Onion Soup Day

I love slicing onions, I love the transformations that occur in cooking, I love getting things done on time, I love butter, I love cheese, and I love French Onion Soup.

In addition to all of the above happening, it was also a Friday. Last week was kind of a rough week and its easier to talk about now that things are getting better, but class last week was difficult. I have had both the blessing and the curse of being pretty successful in the kitchens I've worked and learned in. My kitchen at home is well worn with both sweet success and bitter failure, but as far as other kitchens go, they've known mostly success. So last week when I wasn't properly completing my knife trays (a plastic tray that has different requirements each day, for ex: 1 small diced potato 1/4x 1/4 x 1/4 in, 2 minced garlic, 2 minced shallot, 2 tbsp parsley chiffonade, etc.), or even completing them at all within the time limit given, I was not only under the stress of doing poorly but I was also under the stress of not knowing how to deal with doing poorly. You see, making mistakes is a very funny thing because when you make them you wish you hadn't, and when you don't you wish you had because then you would know how to deal with them. I was envious of the people I have witnessed make mistakes because they learned how to deal with them, now I'm learning too.

1 comment:

  1. You and I both. I was always stressed when I made mistakes because they affected my number grades as my scholarship relied on a certain GPA. In the process, I wasn't learning and/or having fun. As a result, I kept making the same mistakes. Not cool. Don't follow my example. And keep having fun in Skills.

    ReplyDelete