Thursday, September 16, 2010

Different soups in New Jersey and Washington State

Tonight we talked about seasoning because we made our first dish, Beef Vegetable Soup. In lecture, chef was talking about different populations liking different seasonings. For instance, in New Jersey canned soup is much saltier than soup in Washington state. People in different places have different seasoning preferences and companies will cater the same product to these individual preferences. I thought that was fascinating.

Today something crazy happened that I'm so glad I slowed down for. I have found my schedule very rushed lately. I rush to go running in the morning, I rush up the hill to get to dinner, I rush to get to class on time, I rush to finish my knife cuts, I'm just always rushing. Well today, I was rushing to get to class and someone I know stopped me and wanted me to go into a kitchen with them, I tried to brush them off and said I was late. They responded that I would probably never get to taste this again, so I reluctantly followed. I tasted tuna and home made wasabi that Masaharu Morimoto made. The wasabi sells for $180/lb. Only at the Culinary Institute of America would something like that happen, only at CIA. What an opportunity! I still can't believe I go here.

2 comments:

  1. And as the government moves to make more data available to the public, it will be fascinating to see if that saltier soup in NJ equates to more cases of high blood pressure in that state.... or perhaps more hot pepper in a region's recipes is linked to some health benefit. Wouldn't THAT be cool?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so your daughter... I was thinking that as he talked about all the food data differences depending on geography and what that means in regard to the social, economic, and political structures of these places. I think the way we eat indicates a lot more about us than we initially think.

    ReplyDelete