Wednesday, September 29, 2010

baking brownies in chinese take out containers


So tonight when I got home I asked my room mate if I could have one of the brownies that had been sitting in a plastic container in the dark corner of her desk for the past week. When I pulled the container into the light I was surprised to find that she had actually baked the brownies IN the plastic container. I hadn't realized you could BAKE in plastic Chinese take-out containers! I remember eating Moo Shu Pork out this thing, and now it had been used to bake brownies. These little containers are AMAZING!

Another amazing thing happened today... I made mayonnaise! Now most things I prefer home made, except mayonnaise I like to leave up to Hellman's. But today, my mayonnaise was pretty good, I wanted to spread it right onto a toast sandwich. We also made hollandaise sauce (which might be my favorite sauce) and poured it over beautifully cooked broccoli. Both sauces start with egg yolk, water, and acid that is whipped like crazy with a whisk. Fat is slowly poured in while you continue to whip like its your job. Oil is added to the yolk mixture for mayonnaise and clarified butter for hollandaise. Its honestly pretty easy, just whip, whip, whip, whip! And FAST.

1 comment:

  1. Chef Jones (a dean here) showed our class a cool way to do hollandaise. Basically, you whip up the egg yolks until they're really airy in a double boiler and then add the oil and continue whisking. Your hollandaise would then end up lighter than your average hollandaise. Mindblasting, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete