Thursday, November 4, 2010

fireside chats and steak

As I was walking out of my room today my room mate was bubbly with excitement about what she was watching on her computer, curious I leaned in and waited with her for the president to address the nation. I am so thankful that there are such diverse people in this world because I had totally lost sight that yesterday was Election Day and yet my room mate was closely following the election. Standing there huddled around the computer watching our president speak, we reminded myself of a modern day version of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's "Fireside Chats" and their incredible impact on our nation. I was excited as I walked to class by how lucky I am to live in such a cool country and on a much smaller scale how lucky I am to live in a room with such a cool girl.

The excitement continued as I fried potatoes for French Fries and grilled steak for our dinner service. I love deep fried food. Do I want to eat it everyday? No. Do I love whole grains and tofu? Yes. I'm not on one end of the spectrum or the other, I love deep fried food and I love healthy food. There is just something wonderful about the satisfyingly crisp, golden texture that develops on fried foods and the wonderful rich flavor.... mmmm. And who doesn't love a good steak? The plate was completed with a mushroom stuffed tomato and buttered broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment