Thursday, November 18, 2010

baby vegetables and the library

While 15 minutes may not seem like a long time it equates to about 1/8 the amount of time I have for cooking in class, and today I spent 15 minutes peeling, trimming, and cleaning baby carrots. I had not anticipated that this particular task would be so consuming but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself bent over each carrot gently peeling off their delicate outer layer exposing beautiful, clean vegetable, all the while being careful not to break off their bright stems. Real baby carrots (carrots that are picked young-- not the "Baby Carrots" we buy in grocery stores in plastic bags for school lunches that are actually big carrots, trimmed down into nice little 3 bite pieces.. shocking, right?) are a sight to behold. I wished I had my camera with me today because the view of the contrastrasting light green stems and the rich orange flesh, is one that needs to be shared. Baby carrots are also cool because they are so time consuming. It is impossible to rush through the process of preparing them because doing so would cause permanent damage, i.e. break them. In a strange way they reminded me of baby humans and their reminder to us of how careful we have to be sometimes and that some things just can't be rushed.

As I mentioned before, I have started a new class this week and my chef is downright inspiring. Every single blog post I have written in the past has been on my laptop from my dorm room, but tonight I find myself in the library computer lab studying his powerpoints, researching things we talked about in class, and pouring over books that he suggested. I am not just here for him either, I'm here looking at books that I've been meaning to read but hadn't quite gotten around to and now that I'm in his class basking in his knowledge, I'm inspired to be more knowledgable myself. It's an exciting attitude shift towards openess. Once I get a taste of facts and stories during his lectures, I only want more. And that's why I find myself tonight, here in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment